Plantar Fasciitis

Support Group & Health Community

would like to hear from those who have gotten shots & surgery

Good day fellow sufferers,

I will briefly describe my condition.  6 months ago I was diagnosed with pf.  I am a 60 year old that walks anywhere from 3 to 6 miles per day due to my job.  The doc said it would take at least 6 months to heal and I had him make me the custom orthotics.

A few weeks ago I actually missed work for a day due to the pain of pf.  I bought the shoes that the doc recommended; SAS time out, and he adjusted the orthotics in my shoes.  I have been icing, stretching, ultrasounding, and rolling a tennis ball under my feet.

It has been 6 months, and now the doc said it may take a year.  I don't think I can do this for another 6 months or more.  Some of the testimony I have read really doesn't encourage me; some people claim they have had it for years.

Due to the nature of my job and having to walk as much as I do, I am actually to the point of considering the shots; so my question is this; how long did the shot last and were you glad to get the shot or has it made you sorry you did?  Was there any downtime due to getting a shot?

Also, to those who have already had the surgery, how long is the recovery process and are you glad you got the surgery, or do you think it was the worst mistake you've ever made?  Some of the pictures I've seen on this site of foot incisions look pretty gruesome.

I'm actually thinking of going to a shorter work week if I can to see if that will help.  Anyway, it is what it is I guess but I try to keep smiling.

Lenny

Views: 1906

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tracy, my podiatrist gave me an injection yesterday in the left heel, last night was very difficult to sleep even after the exercises and the ice pack. When I woke up this morning the heel pain was still there but not as bad. I am going to continue with my exercises and the ice packs. When I get the money I am going to order the orthotics for the new shoes I will have to purchase. This is getting really expensive for sore feet. The 2 pair of Sketcher shoes with memory foam are going back to JC Penney's for a full refund. My Dr. said they are not good for my feet, the New Balance are better. My refund on the shoes will now go towards the orthotics which are costing $390.00 my insurance only pays 80% which is fine with me.  I've never tried anything else since my feet started hurting, I actually believed it was part of getting old. Stupid me.  My Dr. told me both feet had inflammation and heel spurs. Glad I found this Dr. Glad this website is here and I am not the only one with this problem.

Tracy Elliott said:

Hi... Well, I have my appt for the Acupuncture on this hateful heel spur this coming Wed. I know it will take more than one treatment to help... EVEN IF IT DOES HELP !! But I will keep everyone posted on the outcome. Heel spurs and PF is a miserable feeling, hopefully this will help me and others :)  

Melody,

GET MERRELL'S ! They are the best shoes. I have six pairs.

I haven't heard of Merrell's, but I am going to look on line today thank you very much.

Drik I just found out that Sandler shoes in Lansing Illinois where I use to live for 15 yrs carries these shoes and they might be a little pricey, but if they work I am buying some. Have to wait til my next paycheck but thank you so much for the info. Melody

Drik bensom said:

Melody,

GET MERRELL'S ! They are the best shoes. I have six pairs.

Hi everyone...

Melody, the first cortisone shot i had.. worked great. The second... didnt help at all. Actually made it worse. I would get these really SHAPE SUDDEN PAINS in the exact line the needle went in my foot. It was awful. Thankfully, that has stopped. Or at least i hope so.

Today is the best my foot has felt in months. Not sure if its due to the acupuncture, the chinese liniment or what.. but something is working. I go back for more acupuncture next week. Fingers crossed that everyone will have a pain free day.

I agree... this foot pain is costing me a lot too. I just pray it will completely go away soon !! One can hope ;) 

Tracy,   

I just found out that Merrell Shoes is better than the ones I have been wearing so I am waiting til my next pay day to go check them out. I use to live in Lansing Illinois and there is a store there (Sandler Shoes) that carries them. Expensive but at this point I will try anything. I have never tried acupuncture unfortunately my Health insurance won't cover it (it's not medically necessary according to them). My health insurance stops as of November, JC Penney's will no longer offer Health insurance to part time employees, and unfortunately for all the employees we are all Part Timers.     So I lose, my health ins, vision, Dental, and my life insurance.  Can't win for losing lately. Good luck with the acupuncture, keep me informed as to how it is going. I'm so grateful for this website, never realized this was such a big problem.

Shot mask the pain and do nothing to cure the condition.  It's my believe that doctors do everything they can to keep you coming back over and over again.  I tried the shots, the physical therapy, the ortho shoes and insoles, which all helped a little but did not cure the issues with PF.  My sister gave me her night splint which I've been using for two weeks and have seen great improvement.  The splint keeps the tendons from tightening overnight , significant less pain in the morning.  I am continuing with the stretching exercises ( Yoga) and for the first time in 9 months I'm hopeful that it will resolve itself.  Don't waste your money, get a night splint, a good stretching program, deep tissue massage and an anti-inflammatory

I agree with you Mary. Most doctors I have been to seem to only treat the symptoms, not really trying to get to the cause. I had one doctor tell me, that after 13 years I really don't have a handle of this condition either.

I am trying a program created by a PT called Ming Chew. He wrote the Permanent Pain Cure. It's pretty interesting and makes sense. I will let you know if I see results. His idea is that for 10-14 days you eliminate unthealthy sugars, drink 2 quarts of water and follow a supplement program. Only THEN once your pain is at a certain level you begin fascial stretching. The stretches are different than the typical static stretching you are told to do with PF.

Will keep you posted!

Try using a night splint at bedtime, it keeps the tendons from tightening overnight.  The foot will still be tender but every night you wear it, the tenderness reduces.  I've worn the night splint for a week now and have seen great improvement.  My sister had this for almost a year before she tried the night splint, now she is pain free.

Hi Melgirl 30,

I too have eliminated sugars and all processed foods, not sure if it's helping the PF but I have lost 7 lbs in one week.  I'm hoping the weight loss will also improve the PF.  Let me know about the types of stretches.  I'm still doing the stretches taught in physical therapy, doing masotherepy and using the tennis ball to keep the tendons stretched until the tears heal.  I've gotten the most improvement with the night splint and still looking for a total cure.

thanks

Mary

melgirl30 said:

I agree with you Mary. Most doctors I have been to seem to only treat the symptoms, not really trying to get to the cause. I had one doctor tell me, that after 13 years I really don't have a handle of this condition either.

I am trying a program created by a PT called Ming Chew. He wrote the Permanent Pain Cure. It's pretty interesting and makes sense. I will let you know if I see results. His idea is that for 10-14 days you eliminate unthealthy sugars, drink 2 quarts of water and follow a supplement program. Only THEN once your pain is at a certain level you begin fascial stretching. The stretches are different than the typical static stretching you are told to do with PF.

Will keep you posted!

I am getting my 2nd round of shots today, My 3 day paycheck isn't enough to buy the Merrill shoes yet so will have to wait until the Social Security Check comes in next week. Not looking forward to spending 150 dollars on 1 pair of shoes. Some or all of my medical bills will have to wait again. Will keep you posted.

Melody,

Try the over the counter insoles, they are as good as molded to your foot or orthopedic shoes but they give some support and relief from the pain, the cost is less than $40.00.  Also try to eliminate sugar and processed foods from your diet, I don't know why it works but, for me, I felt relief after one week on the food modification.  Good luck, hope you feel better

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Jason.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service