Plantar Fasciitis

Support Group & Health Community

I'm Sara and I am 14 years old in 8th grade. I have plantar fasciitis on both feet. I have had the pain for a over a year and a half, but did not find out it was plantar fasciitis until six months ago. When I found out I had it six months ago, I didn't think it was much. For the first month or two, I wasn't very good about doing my excersices, icing, not going barefoot, etc. Over the past four months or so, I have been really good about all of that. So far, I have seen an orthopedic, and four pediatrists. All have said the same: stay off your feet, ice, stretch, don't go barefoot, and so on. The last doctor I went to realized it was time to get rid of my pain. Being in the eigth grade, it isn't very easy for me to do all the things I need to in order to get rid of the issue, especially with the summer arriving. Last week, my new pediatrist gave me a quortazone shot in my heel...this will not only take away the pain (in about 2-3 weeks), but it will get rid of the scar tissue that has formed in my heel. I have to go back to get it in my other foot next week.
I'm not very motivated to get rid of this, because it's just annoying. I'm sick of the pain and all. I tend to feel like I'm the only kid with this problem...and my friends aren't very supportive either. If there's someone who can relate to my story, please share it. I'm in need of someone who can relate to what I'm going through and understands the pain I'm in.

Views: 1479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sara: I feel so bad for you . . . I am a whole lot older than you, and also have it in both feet - almost 3 years now - Every single day I do the exercises and icing - some days are worse than others. I cannot imagine having had this at your age . . . as you said, there are so many things in school - gym for one - and with the Summer coming up means sandals, sandals, sandals - which you are not supposed to wear.

Did any of the doctors recommend calf stretches? What kind of shoes did they suggest for you?

Sue
sue,
it's very hard having it and I feel the same way for you! i've been out of gym for pretty much the whole year...my orthopedic had me in a boot for 2 months which screwed up my foot even more. the sandals are hard, but we got a nice pair of recomended sandals. the dr did recremend them and I am doing them. I just got new shoes and orthodics ( the dr didn't like the custom ones that were made ). they are ecco shoes and they feel great! they are ment for plantar fasciitis and I'm finally walking normally for the first time without limping in seven months! I'm in pain...but they're really helping!

Sue Hayes said:
Hi Sara: I feel so bad for you . . . I am a whole lot older than you, and also have it in both feet - almost 3 years now - Every single day I do the exercises and icing - some days are worse than others. I cannot imagine having had this at your age . . . as you said, there are so many things in school - gym for one - and with the Summer coming up means sandals, sandals, sandals - which you are not supposed to wear. Did any of the doctors recommend calf stretches? What kind of shoes did they suggest for you?

Sue
My name's Jenni and I 100% know what you are feeling. I'm going through the exact same thing, I'm 13 and in 8th grade as well, I've had it for about a year and 2 months now. It's seriously the most devastating thing ever for me, I've gotten depression because of it because it's just horrible. To find this post of yours makes me feel like I'm not alone. And about the exercises, I completely understand, it's really hard to be motivated to do it when you see no affect, I did start doing some of it again, but again, it's hard. I want to give up because I've lost all hopes. But one thing is, I do not recommend you getting anymore shots, those will just make things worse. I hope my post helped you, and to let you know that you are not alone. Also, about the friend not supporting you thing, I understand as well. Everyone always says I'm lazy because I can't do PE, and every time someone tells me that, it's honestly the most crushing thing ever to me because they have no clue what I'm going through, and how I would do anything to run 25 miles at that moment - but I can't. I can't even run for a minute. I know this post was a year ago and I hope things got better for you. I hope things get better for me as well...

hi i am in 7th grade and i have PF in both feet too. i have only had it for 5 months and seems like ive tried everything it feels like i should give up and live with it but it hurts to much. in p.e. no one knows what it is or what its like so everyone asks a lot of questions and i dont know a lot about it so i just say that its painful and i cant run. after P.E my feet throb because i have to stand on them for an hour. my teacher has it to and is getting a surgery i dont want surgery but kinda do as long as i can get rid of it. i feel really bad for you i dont know if i could take it that long.

-sarah

i cant take the pain anymore.it seems like i have tried everything but surgery.my mom says that im too young for surgery i think so too. i keep getting down my mom tries to help but it doesnt she doesnt understand the pain. i got custom inserts they dont help my mom says she can tell by my face but im trying to hide it from friends and teachers pretty much everyone in my grade knows about it and sometimes in P.E i hear and see them pointing at me. i need help please help.im not depressed.......yet and i dont want to be.:(

Hi, I have been reading all the messages about foot pain that some teens are experiencing and I feel sorry for you guy's, my son has been having a lot of pain in his foot and at times he can't do sports or p.e as well. So, I googled on internet to see if I can find a cure or a pain relieve for him.....Any ways, long story short....I found on face/book that there is a sock you can wear and it has been a miracle cure for a lot of people. It's called the Compression Plantar Sock which I will be buying a pair for my son and hopefully life for him will be back to normal.....You can look up a website called 'DrGrab New Zealand or .co.nz give them a try and I am sure it will give you back the life you've missed out on, look them up and give it a go, what have you got to lose except a full healthy and happy life. Good luck and hope this is of any help :)  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Jason.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service