Plantar Fasciitis

Support Group & Health Community

Hi I am new here, but I have been suffering with Pf on and off for at least 12 years but within the last two years it really flared and I went through Cortisone shots, anti-inflammatories, steroids, orthodicts and finally surgery.  I had surgery on my left foot in Feb 2010; 8 months in to recovering my right foot flared and the doc did surgery on that foot in Oct 2010.  As of today my heels don't hurt, but the entire foot hurts on a scale of 1-10 I would say its a good 7.  I have not been able to go back to work since I had the surger and I don't see any relief in sight.  I am very frustrated by this, I thought after I had the surgery I would have my life back and would be able to go for the long walks I so enjoy, and shopping with my daughter.  Just getting out of bed or walking across the room is pure torcher.  My feet feel like I've walked Disneyland 3 times non-stop and then I get this charle horse feeling in the arch and the tops of the feet hurt, as well as my ankles I can't stand in one place I have to keep shifting my weight from one foot to the other and I can't be on my feet for more than maybe 2 or 3  hours all together and now I have to use a cane when I am out for any lengh of time.  My dr says he dosen't know why my feet continue to hurt but says "it's nothing I've done" and says he has nothing more to offer me.  My question is this has anyone out there ever had this problem after surgery? any help would be appreciated thanks

Views: 12520

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

YES !!!!  I had surgery in January.  My heel does not hurt anymore but, the doctor left half of my foot numb with a pinched nerve in it......BOTH FEET KILL ME!!!!  I mowed the yard the other day and I came in the house and laid across the bed and just cried my eyes out the pain was so severe.  I have to stay in shoes ALL THE TIME...And, I mean GOOD SHOES.......I even have to put them on when I get up during the night to go to the bathroom....The doctors do not understand or will not say what is going on.  That is why I am in PAIN MANAGEMENT NOW.  I have not worked for a year and now its just the one income and I can't apply for disablility because no doctors will admit or know whats going on.  So, I am basically stuck !!!  I've lost weight, can't walk the dog like I use too, can't stand on my feet very long at all........So, sounds like we are in the same boat.  SO, YES TO YOUR QUESTION!!!  I honestly don't see it getting any better.....You need to try to get one of your doctors to refer you to a pain management doctor.  I've tried, Physical therapy, accupunture and it helps at the point of onsight.......but, comes back.......The pain med's are helping to a degree.......Carmen in Virginia!!

I thank you very much carmen,i will try to see a pain doctor,still its a up hill battle,im dealing with the veteran hospital,you would think they would be on my side.oh no it might mess up there record  or something.but i refuse to be crippled and broke for his vanity.so yes i will keep plugging at the systm.really i think they dont know they are doing,i jumped in a pool two years ago playing with my grend daughter,i hit the bottom hard.upon xray the said my left foot had spurs on it,not my right one,but right one is the one that bothering me,so they operated on my right foot,the is getting better,but the pain is in my heel,bad pain,and tey dont understand why im still in pain maybei need  another doctor,but being without insurance,im at there mercy,im 50 years old been working all my life,wanted the disability for the medicaid program,to se another doctor,but can not get pass.the part where i need them to sign off, just plain sickening.but thanks for your support it do help

thanks sally its nice to know someone out there understands how bad this is,and if i come across anything that helps i will pass it on to you,thanks again gregory

I'm sorry, Gregory, that you are having such a bad time following your surgery. This summer, my foot pain was so bad (I wasn't taking an prescribed pain killer at that time)=and my pain was worst at night=that I tried going to sleep for the night with my shoes on! Didn't work! But now, even after the surgery, my doctor had said to take it easy so I keep my shoes by my bed and if I need to get up during the night, even if it's 3AM, I put them-kind of an incentive not to get up! I tried everything that I could do (listed in my thread "had an endoscopic plantar fascia release this morning 10/17/2011") before consenting to the surgery, but luckily I have done well. I had no nerve involvement so it was left alone and I don';t have numb areas in my foot. I have had knee replacement surgery, which includes cutting nerves, and I have numb areas on my knees from it=-so I know how weird and odd it feels not to feel on a part of your body, but I would imagine on a foot, it's even weirder. HOping you will get some relief somehow.

CAROLINE,SALLY,CARMEN HAD SOME GOOD NEWS TODAY,WENT TO DOCTORS OFFICE TODAY,AFTER SITTING AND LISTENING,TO MY DOCTOR BRAG ABOUT HOW GOOD MY FEET LOOK AFTER THE SURGERY,MAINLY WERE THE STICHES WAS.I COULD NOT TAKE IT ANY MORE.LET HIM HIM KNOW THE THE SURGERY WAS COMPLETE DISASTER AND THAT IM IN MORE PAIN NOW THEN  EVER,AND SORRY TO MESS HIS PERFECT RECORD UP,BUT THAT THEY DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM,AND THAT SOMETHING HAD TO BE DONE NOW.AND THAT I WAS GOING OVER THERE HEADS TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT. FIRST CAME THAT THEY WAS FOLLOWING THE OTHER DOCTORS ORDERS.WHICH IS NO EXSCUSS.SO NOW  BASICLY IM STARTING OVER.WITH NEW EXRAYS,NEW IDEALS,AND HOPEFULLY NEW DOCTORS.SO LETS SEE WHERE THIS GOES,MAYBE NOW WE CAN GET TO THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM.I NOW FEEL THERES HOPE AT THE END OF RAIN BOW,THANKS AGAIN EVERY BODY WILL KEEP YOU UP TO DATE.THANKS EVERYONE  GREGORY

I sure hope you find someone who can relieve your pain.Living with pain can suck the life out of you!

Hang in there Gregory its a tough road and somedays are what I call "couch" days it's been two years since I've had bilateral surgery and I am still in pain now I think I might have a neruoma between my toes, but I am not having surgery until I can't walk anymore

Are you able to work,If not have you applied for ssi,any luck wih that,If you have applied and recieved it ,Please tell me the secret,cause my doctors thinks i should be well, enough to run up mountains,jump over canyons,and so forth,dont know what world she lives in,But its not mines,finaly convince her to re xray,which i feel really  wont show the problem,need a mri,hopefully that will be next,besides these last three years,i have not made under 60.000 year.working hard taking care of business,if i could work ,why in the hell would settle for this little change,unless i had no other option. looking forward to your response. thanks so much  GREGORY

Xrays won't show the PF-it might show a bone spur. An MRI should show something going on-although, in my case, it showed PF in one foot and not the other, but my doctor knew I had it in the other foot by examining it. My ortho didn't order the MRI until I had tried several treatments and he wanted to make sure , as he said, "we aren't barking up the wrong tree" about the diagnosis. 

I know nothing about SSI but just wanted to say that I hope you can convince her somehow (you could mention the barking up the wrong tree-which is what my doctor said) to have the MRI, that would help. I had bilateral MRI scans done of my feet in an extremity MRI machine, so I could just sit in a chair while they were being done so no worries about claustrophobia etc. (I usually have has MRIs for my knees in open machienes).

Gregory x-rays will only show the tendon slightly, I had to practically demand an MRI my dr got a sooty but he finally said " you want an MRI fine you got one" and guess what? it showed PF in both feet still.  I had been telling him that it felt tight still and I still had pain, he kept saying well its not tight because I cut it.  Well I knew what I was feeling.  And he didn't want to admit he couldn't fix my problem.  I have seen a Pediatrist, Rhuematologist and an Orthopeditis.  All three kept saying they had no idea why I am still hurting, finally the Ortho said if I had had the surgery 9 mo after I first started having trouble I would of had better results with the surgery but since I've had the problem since I was in my 20's and am no 40ish the damge is more than likely permanent.  I have not filed for SSI yet but did contact a Atty.  He is willing to take my case and feels that I should have no problem with it.  since I was already on disability for 12 mo and my dr already pretty much said it's not going to get better.  The pain is very exhusating sometimes and takes all I have to keep going in my day

Sally said:

Gregory x-rays will only show the tendon slightly, I had to practically demand an MRI my dr got a sooty but he finally said " you want an MRI fine you got one" and guess what? it showed PF in both feet still.  I had been telling him that it felt tight still and I still had pain, he kept saying well its not tight because I cut it.  Well I knew what I was feeling.  And he didn't want to admit he couldn't fix my problem.  I have seen a Pediatrist, Rhuematologist and an Orthopeditis.  All three kept saying they had no idea why I am still hurting, finally the Ortho said if I had had the surgery 9 mo after I first started having trouble I would of had better results with the surgery but since I've had the problem since I was in my 20's and am no 40ish the damge is more than likely permanent.  I have not filed for SSI yet but did contact a Atty.  He is willing to take my case and feels that I should have no problem with it.  since I was already on disability for 12 mo and my dr already pretty much said it's not going to get better.  The pain is very exhusating sometimes and takes all I have to keep going in my day

GREGORY TOWNES said:

thanks sally have been trying to reply for some reason can"t get my reply to upload but thanks im trying now to get a mri. let you know how it goes  GREGORY

Sally said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Jason.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service