Plantar Fasciitis

Support Group & Health Community

Has anyone tried Diclofenac gels (Voltaren or Zorvolex)? In particular, has anyone's doctor recommended applying it directly to the fat pad in the heel where most of us have our plantar fasciitis pain?

I've been fighting PF for over a year, doing tons of stretching, PT, cortisone shots, Strassburg sock, and still suffering.  I understand that you've got to be really careful with the fat pad in the heel, so I wanted to find out if anyone else has had experience with Diclofenac gels before I go ahead and give it a try.

Thanks for any info.

Views: 1315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tried the Voltaren and it helped a tiny bit.  I applied it 4 times daily.  

I had gone through everything you are doing. Except I don't know what a Strassburg sock is. 2 years and I finally had undergone surgery. I had the surgery in August of 2015.  WORST decision ever! DO NOT have the surgery. The doctor made minced meat out of my arch and foot. I suffered a hairline fracture of the talus bone as a result. I have had excruciating lateral pain (outside of foot) due to the new foot structure. I swear my keboid bone is dislocated but the doctor tells me no. Surgery changes everything and it doesn't make it better. It only causes more trauma to your foot.    

I will, however,  tell you that these orthotics have been a god send.  My girlfriend talked me into getting them a few days ago.  I was undecided about Spenco or Vionics and looking through the reviews on Amazon, I went with the Vionics.  Do yourself a favor and buy a pair to try.  I got the  3/4 length and it was the BEST $35 spent!  

http://www.vionicshoes.com/orthotics.html

I have tried several different types.  In the beginning, the doctor gave me the plastic ones, Dr. Sholls, custom made ones that cost me $200 that the doctor molded to my foot, and I tried another type that I had purchased at Sports Authority, CVS, Olympia Sports and on and on.  NOTHING has given me relief until now.  I actually bought a pair of the Vionic shoes and slippers too.  I walked for the first time yesterday.  I was only able to walk around my house (hobble more like it). Yesterday, I walked 2 miles.   

One more thing - when you get out of bed, put your sneakers on.  Do NOT walk barefoot. I used to keep my sneakers on my nightstand so I didn't have to fumble too much looking for them half awake.  Now, I have my new slippers there.  They have the best arch support.  

I know it sounds like a gimmick/sales pitch but try the Vionics.  They aren't too expensive. They have finally given me hope!   And keep using the Voltaren too.  I applied it after my walk.  Oh and one last thing, try a night splint too.  I had a crappy one from CVS and splurged and bought a nice fleece one from Amazon.  

Good luck!  I feel your pain.  Keep me posted.  

I remembered one more thing I wanted to tell you. Apply the Voltaren to your arch and heel pad if you want.  The inflammation is in the arch which creates the pain in the heel for some weird reason.  Have you had xrays and/or MRI?  You probably have a heel bone spur too.  I did - which made my PF pain worse.  

This is helpful, thanks.

It's not that the arch is inflamed but that the ligament running through the arch (the plantar ligament) is tight, as is, usually, the achilles tendon.  This puts strain on the point where the ligament joins the heel, causing acute pain in the heel. Thus the importance of stretching.

Podiatrists (I don't know about orthopedists) make a rigid orthotic that is murder on the pain point of plantar fasciitis. My PT specializes in feet and creates custom-made orthotics that provide both cushioning in the heel as well as support in the arch, and these help a lot.

I'll check out Vionics.  I've found Abeo shoes from the Walking Company.  They make one model in particular--the Abeo LiTE Cort, that is nearly as good for walking as a running shoe.  They're $139 and I noticed just now when checking on the name that some are currently on sale for $99.  Walking Company also makes soft orthotics but they are very expensive and I didn't find that they are any better than a good pair of Dr. Scholl's.  But the shoes are great.

Yes, the inflammation is (I should have said within the arch).  I am going to check out those Abeo shoes too.  While I was at the shoe store in my town (it's a local old school shoe store too and these people are pretty knowledgeable, not a bunch of kids selling sneakers for minimum wage), one of the salesman recommended Brooks Adrenaline for PF too.  I am wearing New Balance 1080s with the new orthotics from Vionics and I am really satisfied and much happier. I'm not 100% pain free but I am feeling up for another 2 mile walk when I get home from work today.  For the last two years, I haven't been able to walk more then 15 steps without wanting to cry from the pain.

LD Rabbit said:

This is helpful, thanks.

It's not that the arch is inflamed but that the ligament running through the arch (the plantar ligament) is tight, as is, usually, the achilles tendon.  This puts strain on the point where the ligament joins the heel, causing acute pain in the heel. Thus the importance of stretching.

Podiatrists (I don't know about orthopedists) make a rigid orthotic that is murder on the pain point of plantar fasciitis. My PT specializes in feet and creates custom-made orthotics that provide both cushioning in the heel as well as support in the arch, and these help a lot.

I'll check out Vionics.  I've found Abeo shoes from the Walking Company.  They make one model in particular--the Abeo LiTE Cort, that is nearly as good for walking as a running shoe.  They're $139 and I noticed just now when checking on the name that some are currently on sale for $99.  Walking Company also makes soft orthotics but they are very expensive and I didn't find that they are any better than a good pair of Dr. Scholl's.  But the shoes are great.

I do like Voltaren, but A535 has always been my favorite for my aches. Have never used it on the bottom of the foot though and honestly I think cold is the better the way to go (as a lot of these gels/creams heat up the area). For the foot, especially if you're on them a lot, are more than likely inflamed, and cold is always the best thing for that.  Just resting your foot on a wrapped up ice pack after being on them will help immensely with your pain.

I have tried Voltarol & Voltaran (same thing) even though I'm in the USA. In the USA they ridiculously put it as a prescription, so it's something like $100+ a tube.

When my husband was in the UK I had him send me 5 tubes of it as it's over the counter & something like 12 pounds a large tube at Boots. Also when we visited Canada, it's just $10 a tube. I bought TONS of the stuff.

I think Voltarol works for pain, but it does not heal PF, but that is just my experience. It's like a super strength Ibu. It's great for other things /pain too, bc it reduces inflammation so you can heal.

Again, this is jmho, I think if you have just gotten PF, this is really great, it reduces the initial pain of it, nd may cure you. But for ongoing chronic cases, it only removes pain.

GL, check my other posts to see what I'm doing right now (Cold Laser, thinking about getting a tens unit, & taking Rhus Tox 30d homeopathy). Hope this helps!

Having using Voltaren for a number of weeks now, I've found it totally ineffective for PF, and that it gave little relief even to a sore little toe.

BUT--the big news is that after fighting a very severe case of plantar fasciitis for over a year and a half, I discovered--at least for myself--the solution and have eliminated nearly all pain.  I've  gone back to the diGiovanni stretch--pulling back the toes to stretch the plantar ligament and fascia--and strongly massaging the fascia.  I'd been doing this all along, but now I took my podiatrist's advice of trying to do it 10 times a day for 2 minutes each, plus 3-4 sessions of calf stretches (both kinds) for 5 minutes or so per day.  Within a few days I experienced significant reduction of pain, with improvement with each passing week.  Considering that my starting point was a pain level of 5-6, the fact that I was having tolerable pain within 2 was astonishing, and 5 weeks later it's nearly gone.  (At this point of course it's difficult to keep up the 6-8 times per day, but I try for 4-5, plus a couple of periods of calf stretches).

I need to post this on a more general post because I think others might benefit.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Jason.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service