Plantar Fasciitis

Support Group & Health Community

I had PF Release Surgery 4 weeks ago and I am completely pleased with the results.

 

For over a year I dealt with extreme pain from PF in my right foot. The pain would come and go. I tried physical therapy, icing, stretching, soaking in hot Epsom salt, cortisone injections, massage, ice soaking, custom insoles, night splints, wearing a boot and using a tennis ball; nothing would relieve the pain and it was only getting worse. After talking to my Podiatrist about different options available, I decided to go ahead and have the PF Release surgery. I was given a 6-month handicap decal for my car and told that I would need to be out of work for up to 6 weeks.

 

I was put to sleep for the surgery and woke up pain-free. Below is what I experienced from week to week.

 

Week 1- No pain! I was told to take painkillers every 4 hours. I laid in the bed with my foot elevated and iced. When getting up to use the restroom I used crutches and put very little pressure on my foot. I did not get out of bed to do anything except go to a follow up appointment, the restroom and taking a bath.

 

Week 2- Again, I laid in the bed only to get up to use the restroom and take showers, I still used the crutches to keep my full body weight off of my foot. I begun weaning myself off of the painkillers. The pain was starting to come. The pain was moderate, my foot was throbbing and I felt stretching when I got up to use the bathroom or take a shower, the pain was nothing like the same tearing and walking on glass pain that I felt before with PF. I continued to ice and elevate my foot. I did not get the incision wet; I would clean it with peroxide and put antibiotic ointment and a large waterproof band-aid on it.

 

Week 3- I started walking around on my foot with little pressure I would just slowly walk laps around my house. The pain was getting much worse, it would move around in different areas of my foot, some day’s the side of my foot would hurt, others it was below the heel and others it would be the incision area. After walking, I would elevate and ice it again.

 

Week 4- I had a follow-up appointment with my Podiatrist, he said the healing was looking great; he removed my stitches (only had 4).  I’m no longer using crutches. I wear running shoes and have very little pain. My Podiatrist said the pain I’m experiencing now is “Surgical Pain” and will completely go away within a couple weeks. He said I will be 80% healed in 2 to 3 more weeks and 100% healed in 3 to 6 months. I am walking around the house now doing chores, cooking and more. The pain I feel now is pressure, aches and throbbing and is completely tolerable. When I get up after resting I no longer feel that sharp, stabbing pain of walking on broken glass like I had before.

 

I am completely satisfied with the PF Release surgery and my progress. If I had to do it over again I definitely would! After the surgery, my Podiatrist who was also the surgeon told me that I really needed to have the PF Release surgery; he said my Fascia was so tight and had built up so much scaring from constantly being torn, that it would have never healed on it’s own.

 

I feel so sorry for those who have had negative experiences with PF Release Surgery.

My only suggestion for everyone is when the pain does go away; still continue to treat your foot like you are in pain. Don’t run around doing activities like you did before the surgery. You need to give your foot the time it needs to completely heal. Do everything your Dr. says and don’t rush it. Also, make sure you find a qualified Podiatrist who has good success with PF Release Surgery.

 

PS. I have attached photos of my incision at 3 days, 2 weeks and 4 weeks for anyone interested in seeing the progress with the incision.

 

Good Luck everyone!

 

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

Views: 82567

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear all,

 

i had the PF release on my left foot exactly 4 weeks ago. The first two weeks I was nonweight bearing, walking around the house with crutches. I didn't have to take any meds for the pain because, as I was not laying down the foot, I had no pain. I had my stitches off after 16 days (12 days ago) and I was told to start walking from that moment on. At first the pain was excruciating and I could hardly walk, but after a couple of days I was able to walk and drive again. It hasn't healed completely, but it was starting to feel OK and - the most important thing - It got a bit better day by day. But unfortunately 5 days ago it started to be really painful, like having a wound in the foot right under the scar. It gets worse when I put weight on the foot, but the pain is there all the time, even when I am sitting. I am quite scared about this setback, because the situation seemeed to be very good up to 5 days ago. Has anyone tried the same? Did you experience this pain which is different from the previous one and comes from under the scare and burns like fire? hope to get your feedbacks soon!

So sorry to hear you are now having problems.  I am having a small issue with my incision also.  I am 7 weeks post op and still have a bit of a scab on part of my incision.  Now, a bump is starting to form where the scab is, and of course it is painful because it keeps rubbing against my shoe.  Can't imagine why the scab has not come off yet.  Maybe you should contact your doctor/podiatrist and ask about the pain you are having.  I do remember my podiatrist saying that I needed to massage the incision (circular motion), I think to avoid scar tissue buildup.  Wish I could help you!

It's nice to see something positive about this surgery.  Everything I read is a warning to not have the surgery.  How are you doing now?

I saw a surgeon last week, MRI this week. 

I've had PF for 10 years (at least).

Podiatrist said lose weight, go to physical therapy and wear a night splint - I lost 103 pounds, went to PT and still wear a night splint to this day

Podiatrist said get cortisone injections - I had several with less and less relief with each one

Podiatrist said get custom made inserts and wear an aircast for 6 weeks - I had several inserts made through the years and busted through them each time

New Ortho doc said, "Let's try shock wave therapy, it's a new treatment." - Cool, results lasted a couple years, but I attribute most of it to the weight loss.

Ortho surgeon #1 (last year) said - Let's stay conservative, no one has surgery for this..back to physical therapy for the whole summer.

Ortho surgeon #2 (last week) said - "Let's get an MRI and see you on the table!!

Hi Linda :)


Sounds like we've had similar experiences.  I changed doctor's in December.  Went from Dr. "lets try this next to lets try that" to Dr. Fix it.

 

My new Dr. Fix it says that the most important part of the surgery is the recovery.  After the release surgery, I will have a half hard cast. My instructions are COMPLETE bedrest for 2-3 weeks.  I can use crutches to go to bathroom and should not put any weight on my foot during that time.  After that, weeks 3-6, walking boot with minimal walking....no cooking, cleaning, errands......walking from one room to the next.

 

She claims a 90% success rate.  The 10% who don't work out, according to her, don't follow post-surgery requirements.

 

April 13th is the date :)

 

Good luck

 

Linda K said:

It's nice to see something positive about this surgery.  Everything I read is a warning to not have the surgery.  How are you doing now?

I saw a surgeon last week, MRI this week. 

I've had PF for 10 years (at least).

Podiatrist said lose weight, go to physical therapy and wear a night splint - I lost 103 pounds, went to PT and still wear a night splint to this day

Podiatrist said get cortisone injections - I had several with less and less relief with each one

Podiatrist said get custom made inserts and wear an aircast for 6 weeks - I had several inserts made through the years and busted through them each time

New Ortho doc said, "Let's try shock wave therapy, it's a new treatment." - Cool, results lasted a couple years, but I attribute most of it to the weight loss.

Ortho surgeon #1 (last year) said - Let's stay conservative, no one has surgery for this..back to physical therapy for the whole summer.

Ortho surgeon #2 (last week) said - "Let's get an MRI and see you on the table!!

Keep me posted on how you are doing.  I'm interested to know. 

I talked to my husband this morning.  I told him once I talk to the doctor about the MRI results and find out what days he operates, we need to look at the calendar and figure out the best time to do this.  I'm helping to plan a wedding and have so much to do, plus I work two jobs.  I need to give each one notice.

 

Wow, you sound really busy!  I'm 44, and what I have learned through all of this is that I NEED to start prioritizing myself more.  I'm a total give-give person and really, don't know how to relax.  Ten years is a really long time.  Another guy referred me to http://www.grastontechnique.com/

 

If you search for a provider,  you will probably find a chiroprator in your area.  I'm thinking of trying this for a few weeks before surgery as a holistic approach.  I'm not sure that it will resolve it, but it might make us more comfortable.  Good luck

I know, I know..I tell myself everyday that I need to take a break.  But money is a great motivator.  I'm determined to get out of debt in the next few years.  I'm 45, my kids are grown and they are both moving to South Carolina.  I want to move there too so I need to be in a good financial position.

 

The Graston technique looks promising.  Let me know how that goes for you.  There is only one provider in Cleveland and unfortunately isn't covered by my insurance.  Maybe I'll call and see what the out of pocket charge would be.

I have an appointment in Columbus at 2:00, I'll let you know.  I think the first evaluation is $75, then each visit is $45.  I'm going to see how it goes.  I looked up my total Physical Therapist trips in the last two years......60 visits at $35 each, a slow leek of $2100 out our family budget.  So I'm thinking that if I'm REALLY and I mean REALLY impressed, spending another $500 is worth it if I can avoid surgery.  I'll be honest, I'm feeling pretty good these days....which is the PF trap I've fallen into several times over the last five years, feel good, flare up....doctors and PT visits, feel better.....repeat. 

 

I have been very diligent about stretching, wearing my night splints, orthos and taking it easy, resting and icing.  The pain previously had been so bad that it was radiating up my legs and my feet were literally throbbing by 4pm everyday.  Now, instead of having complete pain on the lower part of my body, I have twinges and soreness in my heel and on the bottom of my foot.  I'm really nervous about having surgery now, because I wonder if I'm turning a corner now.  But I've turned this corner so many times and had it come back.  It's like having a hair appointment that's inconviently scheduled and having a great hair day and then canceling the appointment.  We all know what happens.......

Hi. Im 12, and me and my mom have been searching for treatments for awhile, I've had Plantar Fasicitis for 2 years now, and I play 4 sports and I play basketball all year long, well my best friends mom got surgery and only made it worse, and I like can't stop my sports, I try to do streaches and stuff, but it's not working. Well I was wondering what I should do, because even for school we run everyday and after that I sit down for like 15 mins and it hurts so much, than I limp, so I was wondering what I should do. 
Thanks, 

L

Have you been to a foot doctor?  I would start with a podiatrist.  He/she will probably give your inserts for your shoes, tell you not to walk barefoot, ice, stretch.  This is a link for night splints, they are uncomfortable at first, but you will start to love them :)

 

http://www.footsmart.com/P-A-Force-Dorsal-Night-Splint-10140.aspx?s...

Well, I finally went back to my podiatrist and she took the scab off of my incision and said it's probably taking the internal stitches longer to heal.  So, the scab is off, but the bump on the end of the incision (in my arch) is still there and it rubs in my shoe.  Now, I have a new issue and that is the swelling in my foot.  When I get home from work, the outside of my ankle and top of my foot is swollen (sometimes, I cannot even detect my ankle bone).  I do feel pain when I walk, but it's not heel pain.  It is more on the top and outside of my foot.  I'm guessing that it may be due to the way I walk in order to avoid the rubbing of that incision bump in my shoe.  Can't figure this one out.  Anyone else have swelling over 2 months post op?

Lisa said:
So sorry to hear you are now having problems.  I am having a small issue with my incision also.  I am 7 weeks post op and still have a bit of a scab on part of my incision.  Now, a bump is starting to form where the scab is, and of course it is painful because it keeps rubbing against my shoe.  Can't imagine why the scab has not come off yet.  Maybe you should contact your doctor/podiatrist and ask about the pain you are having.  I do remember my podiatrist saying that I needed to massage the incision (circular motion), I think to avoid scar tissue buildup.  Wish I could help you!

I've been having a good few days here lately with some pain, but manageable.  I even considered cancelling the MRI.  But I keep going back to what the very first podiatrist I saw 10 years ago said..."It's not normal to be in ANY pain."  He said that when I told him that some days are better than others, but that I have some pain everyday that I just live with.

The only therapist that does the Graston Technique is at University Hospitals of Cleveland..I have Cleveland Clinic insurance so there is no way they would pay for it.

I should know tomorrow what the MRI shows.  I'll come back and post the results.  Who knows..maybe it's not PF at all..maybe it's something else.

Kim said:

I have an appointment in Columbus at 2:00, I'll let you know.  I think the first evaluation is $75, then each visit is $45.  I'm going to see how it goes.  I looked up my total Physical Therapist trips in the last two years......60 visits at $35 each, a slow leek of $2100 out our family budget.  So I'm thinking that if I'm REALLY and I mean REALLY impressed, spending another $500 is worth it if I can avoid surgery.  I'll be honest, I'm feeling pretty good these days....which is the PF trap I've fallen into several times over the last five years, feel good, flare up....doctors and PT visits, feel better.....repeat. 

 

I have been very diligent about stretching, wearing my night splints, orthos and taking it easy, resting and icing.  The pain previously had been so bad that it was radiating up my legs and my feet were literally throbbing by 4pm everyday.  Now, instead of having complete pain on the lower part of my body, I have twinges and soreness in my heel and on the bottom of my foot.  I'm really nervous about having surgery now, because I wonder if I'm turning a corner now.  But I've turned this corner so many times and had it come back.  It's like having a hair appointment that's inconviently scheduled and having a great hair day and then canceling the appointment.  We all know what happens.......

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Jason.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service