Plantar Fasciitis

Support Group & Health Community

I had PF Release Surgery 4 weeks ago and I am completely pleased with the results.

For over a year I dealt with extreme pain from PF in my right foot. The pain would come and go. I tried physical therapy, icing, stretching, soaking in hot Epsom salt, cortisone injections, massage, ice soaking, custom insoles, night splints, wearing a boot and using a tennis ball; nothing would relieve the pain and it was only getting worse. After talking to my Podiatrist about different options available, I decided to go ahead and have the PF Release surgery. I was given a 6-month handicap decal for my car and told that I would need to be out of work for up to 6 weeks.

I was put to sleep for the surgery and woke up pain-free. Below is what I experienced from week to week.

Week 1- No pain! I was told to take painkillers every 4 hours. I laid in the bed with my foot elevated and iced. When getting up to use the restroom I used crutches and put very little pressure on my foot. I did not get out of bed to do anything except go to a follow up appointment, the restroom and taking a bath.

Week 2- Again, I laid in the bed only to get up to use the restroom and take showers, I still used the crutches to keep my full body weight off of my foot. I begun weaning myself off of the painkillers. The pain was starting to come. The pain was moderate, my foot was throbbing and I felt stretching when I got up to use the bathroom or take a shower, the pain was nothing like the same tearing and walking on glass pain that I felt before with PF. I continued to ice and elevate my foot. I did not get the incision wet; I would clean it with peroxide and put antibiotic ointment and a large waterproof band-aid on it.

Week 3- I started walking around on my foot with little pressure I would just slowly walk laps around my house. The pain was getting much worse, it would move around in different areas of my foot, some day’s the side of my foot would hurt, others it was below the heel and others it would be the incision area. After walking, I would elevate and ice it again.

Week 4- I had a follow-up appointment with my Podiatrist, he said the healing was looking great; he removed my stitches (only had 4).  I’m no longer using crutches. I wear running shoes and have very little pain. My Podiatrist said the pain I’m experiencing now is “Surgical Pain” and will completely go away within a couple weeks. He said I will be 80% healed in 2 to 3 more weeks and 100% healed in 3 to 6 months. I am walking around the house now doing chores, cooking and more. The pain I feel now is pressure, aches and throbbing and is completely tolerable. When I get up after resting I no longer feel that sharp, stabbing pain of walking on broken glass like I had before.

I am completely satisfied with the PF Release surgery and my progress. If I had to do it over again I definitely would! After the surgery, my Podiatrist who was also the surgeon told me that I really needed to have the PF Release surgery; he said my Fascia was so tight and had built up so much scaring from constantly being torn, that it would have never healed on it’s own.

I feel so sorry for those who have had negative experiences with PF Release Surgery.

My only suggestion for everyone is when the pain does go away; still continue to treat your foot like you are in pain. Don’t run around doing activities like you did before the surgery. You need to give your foot the time it needs to completely heal. Do everything your Dr. says and don’t rush it. Also, make sure you find a qualified Podiatrist who has good success with PF Release Surgery.

PS. I have attached photos of my incision at 3 days, 2 weeks and 4 weeks for anyone interested in seeing the progress with the incision.

Good Luck everyone!

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

Views: 80752

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My knowledge of Tenex is that it is a drug used to reduce blood pressure abnormality and anxiety and nothing to do with healing PF. It also goes by the name 'guacine'?

Great posts on the surgery. My doctor is against surgery, I can tell.  Have had 10 laser treatments and although it is better, it still hurts quite a bit.  I have had this for a year now and am scheduled to go into a hard cast for a 3 week period.  Just to let the foot heal and rest I assume.  My cost for the cast is only $35.00 so I can't complain about that.  Don't know yet if I will use crutches or what.  Will call him tomorrow.  Real tired of all of this and my semi-permanent limp!  Brad

Brad,

My experience has shown that although laser is the right track, it should be remembered that whereas the laser breaks down the scar tissue making it easier for nutrients carried in plasma, to reach the source of your wound, my treatment also involved 20 minutes immediate magneto therapy (to reduce inflammation, taking pressure off the capillaries which carry the plasma) followed with ultrasound for 5 minutes (to intensify that nutrient delivery). Also went through 10 sessions of these 'three' treatment packages and found strong improvement which resulted in a complete cure - already 4 years ago. No limp - regular sports walks!

Hi Kimberly,

Your long drawn out prescription, led me to just another proposal to buy someone's book on cures for PF. But by following the cure I outlined, free-of-charge, sufferers will find progressive relief which improves by the day over a two week programme. Of course I guess the treatment I recommended will cost patients in the US, but it does provide guaranteed, non-invasive relief from a very debilitating condition. 

I am curious to hear how the Tenex works.  I've been reading up on it.

Elizabeth L said:

Anyone hear of Tenex?  Well...my PF didn't work so I'm now onto my last hope.  My best description of this procedure is that it's like liposuction for inflammed tissue done under anesthesia.  I'm schedule for 9/25.  I have hope but because all else has failed I'm keeping my expectations low.

I just had of surgery Tuesday dec 29 and I am pain free didn't have to take pain meds hope to get a boot to wear tomorrow
That's pretty amazing after only one week. I had my left foot done on 12/23. I went back to work yesterday and began partial weight bearing and ended up staying home today, because I overdid it and was in a lot of pain. I get my stitches out tomorrow. I had my right foot done two years ago and it took a good 2 months before I felt better, but when I finally did feel better it was like night and day. The surgery works. It just takes some time to heal.

Hi Heather,

I am scheduled for the plantar release end of next month, and I am so nervous about being totally dependent upon other people to help me during the first two weeks of non weight-bearing. Was it extremely difficult to get out of the bed and go to the bathroom, take a shower, etc. Do I need to get a bedside potty? Was it tough to do normal things only using one foot? Also, did you have to take pain meds more than a week or two after the surgery? Was the pain tolerable? Sorry for all the questions, but I really hope someone that has been through this will respond and give me their honest experienced opinion.

Thanks so much and I look forward to your response.

Hi Jean,
As long as you put your boot on and use your crutches you can get to the bathroom. For showering, I had a shower sock and a shower chair and needed help getting in, but I showered daily. It's a pain being on crutches (carrying food from kitchen to sofa), but I managed. You will, too. I was on pain meds longer, but I went back to work on day 12 so I was sore at he end of the day. By weeks 3 and 4 I didn't need it as much. I just left my 4 week appointment and I'm off crutches and transitioning out of the boot. Good luck to you! Let us all know how you do.
Thanks,
Heather

Hello everyone,

Sad to report that the Russian physiotherapist, who successfully provided non-invasive treatment for my severe PF some years ago, has passed away, a victim to cancer. God rest her soul. Her methods of successive laser, magneto therapy and ultra-sound treatments to bring lasting relief to my condition will not be forgotten, neither will the kindness with which she administered her medicine.

David Gardner

Hi Heather,

Thanks so much for sharing your information with me. I believe once I am in my home, I will be okay to get around...slowly. I am a retiree in my early sixties, and I have outside steps leading into my home, which I will have to navigate. My dr. said I will probably need to go up the steps on my bottom. Once I get to the top of the steps, this is where I will need help from someone strong that can lift me up to a standing position on my good foot. This is the one part which I cannot figure out how to do on my own and I have no choice but to ask someone to come and help me in when I arrive home after the surgery.

It sounds as though you are progressing quite well. I can't imagine returning to work only 12 days after the surgery. Hopefully you have a job that allows you to be able to sit most of the day. But isn't it painful wearing shoes and walking back and forth to your car?  

I hope you continue to recover rapidly and get back to 100% soon. Good luck and thanks again! Please stay in touch with your progress.

Heather said:

Hi Jean,
As long as you put your boot on and use your crutches you can get to the bathroom. For showering, I had a shower sock and a shower chair and needed help getting in, but I showered daily. It's a pain being on crutches (carrying food from kitchen to sofa), but I managed. You will, too. I was on pain meds longer, but I went back to work on day 12 so I was sore at he end of the day. By weeks 3 and 4 I didn't need it as much. I just left my 4 week appointment and I'm off crutches and transitioning out of the boot. Good luck to you! Let us all know how you do.
Thanks,
Heather

I've had fascia release on both feet over the span of a year. Learning to get around on one foot isn't as tough as it may sound. If you have the resources to do so, I strongly suggest a knee scooter. They're so much easier than crutches. I only used my crutches to get into and out of the car and up and down the stairs. In the first of four surgeries, I went up and down the 15 steps in my house on my knees or bottom. After that, I learned to do it upright using the crutches to go up and the handrail on one side and crutches on the other to hop down the steps. Some other key things I learned are to move all rugs off the floor, use a purse with a cross-body strap or a backpack, and, if you can't get a wheelchair for in the house, try a rolling office chair. Know that EVERYTHING will take longer to do and there's nothing you can do about that. Take your time and be careful as trying to hurry only lead me to be more clumsy. I had a hard cast on for weeks and weeks and didn't take a real shower during that time but figured out how to sit on the edge of the tub and bathe. It's totally doable but you have to be willing to be creative. Relying on others wasn't easy for me either but you have to recognize your limitations and understand that others will help if you just ask. Wishing you all the best.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Jason.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service