Plantar Fasciitis

Support Group & Health Community

I had PF Release Surgery 4 weeks ago and I am completely pleased with the results.

 

For over a year I dealt with extreme pain from PF in my right foot. The pain would come and go. I tried physical therapy, icing, stretching, soaking in hot Epsom salt, cortisone injections, massage, ice soaking, custom insoles, night splints, wearing a boot and using a tennis ball; nothing would relieve the pain and it was only getting worse. After talking to my Podiatrist about different options available, I decided to go ahead and have the PF Release surgery. I was given a 6-month handicap decal for my car and told that I would need to be out of work for up to 6 weeks.

 

I was put to sleep for the surgery and woke up pain-free. Below is what I experienced from week to week.

 

Week 1- No pain! I was told to take painkillers every 4 hours. I laid in the bed with my foot elevated and iced. When getting up to use the restroom I used crutches and put very little pressure on my foot. I did not get out of bed to do anything except go to a follow up appointment, the restroom and taking a bath.

 

Week 2- Again, I laid in the bed only to get up to use the restroom and take showers, I still used the crutches to keep my full body weight off of my foot. I begun weaning myself off of the painkillers. The pain was starting to come. The pain was moderate, my foot was throbbing and I felt stretching when I got up to use the bathroom or take a shower, the pain was nothing like the same tearing and walking on glass pain that I felt before with PF. I continued to ice and elevate my foot. I did not get the incision wet; I would clean it with peroxide and put antibiotic ointment and a large waterproof band-aid on it.

 

Week 3- I started walking around on my foot with little pressure I would just slowly walk laps around my house. The pain was getting much worse, it would move around in different areas of my foot, some day’s the side of my foot would hurt, others it was below the heel and others it would be the incision area. After walking, I would elevate and ice it again.

 

Week 4- I had a follow-up appointment with my Podiatrist, he said the healing was looking great; he removed my stitches (only had 4).  I’m no longer using crutches. I wear running shoes and have very little pain. My Podiatrist said the pain I’m experiencing now is “Surgical Pain” and will completely go away within a couple weeks. He said I will be 80% healed in 2 to 3 more weeks and 100% healed in 3 to 6 months. I am walking around the house now doing chores, cooking and more. The pain I feel now is pressure, aches and throbbing and is completely tolerable. When I get up after resting I no longer feel that sharp, stabbing pain of walking on broken glass like I had before.

 

I am completely satisfied with the PF Release surgery and my progress. If I had to do it over again I definitely would! After the surgery, my Podiatrist who was also the surgeon told me that I really needed to have the PF Release surgery; he said my Fascia was so tight and had built up so much scaring from constantly being torn, that it would have never healed on it’s own.

 

I feel so sorry for those who have had negative experiences with PF Release Surgery.

My only suggestion for everyone is when the pain does go away; still continue to treat your foot like you are in pain. Don’t run around doing activities like you did before the surgery. You need to give your foot the time it needs to completely heal. Do everything your Dr. says and don’t rush it. Also, make sure you find a qualified Podiatrist who has good success with PF Release Surgery.

 

PS. I have attached photos of my incision at 3 days, 2 weeks and 4 weeks for anyone interested in seeing the progress with the incision.

 

Good Luck everyone!

 

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

Views: 69054

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for posting this. You are the first I read about that had good results from the surgery. Congratulations!
Thank you so much for posting your progress and experience with the surgery.  This is so good to hear, as I am scheduled to have the surgery on my left foot in 5 days.  I have done everything under the sun to heal my PF and nothing has even touched the pain.  I have great faith in my podiatrist (who is also my surgeon) and she is 99.9% sure that this will cure the pain.  I realize it will take a very long time to heal, but the way I look at it....things could not be much worse than they are now.  Thank you again for posting.  We rarely hear about the positive results.
I cannot thank you thankyou enough for posting this!! I'm no longer on the fence with having surgery! I'm not sure if im going to have the release or a  pin put in. Is this open surgery?  The inscion looks great! Again, thankyou so much for posting this!! And congratulations on the success of the surgery!
I had Pf release in Feb 2010 on my Left foot and Oct 2010 on my right my Pf pain is gone now I have pain in the arches and ankles, I am curious did you experience this too?  thanks
Hi- I've been living with PF for far too long. My first podiatrist was ultra conservative and I believe, let this go on for too long. I have just had my second cortisone shot and can tell it's beginning to wear off. My new doctor is convinced I need surgery on both feet. I am glad to see this positive post.

I am curious to know if any of you have experienced any of these symptoms:

Typically I will have a couple of good days, usually after lots of rest, meds, stretching and ice. When I become active...grocery shopping, housework or standing place for a period of time....my feet start to ache. Initially it is heal pain, then it will move randomly around my feet. As the day progresses my ankles and lower legs hurt. Then my hips, low back and leg muscles ache. Then I start feeling drained from the pain. After a while I just can't be on my feet.

My new podiatrist wanted me to have my spine checked to rule out herniated disks. The back doc brushed it off, but agreed to an MRI. He also referred me to an foot and ankle specialist in his building for a third opinion.

Have any of you had PF this severe? I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Diana,

 

Thank you so much! I had my 8-week follow-up today, my Podiatrist said everything is looking great and healing the way it is supposed to. My incision is completely healed; all that is left is a very faint scar. My foot feels great and rarely hurts now. From time to time I feel stretching, but it is not painful. I’m told the pain I feel now is “Surgical pain” and it will completely go away in a month or so. I no longer feel the agony of walking on broken glass. I don’t fear taking my first step in the morning after waking up, or that first step of terror after sitting for a little while. I am still icing and stretching my foot as my Dr. recommends. I no longer wear a boot or night splint. I can honestly say having the surgery was the best decision I made. I know these day’s people only post negative experiences they have, very rarely do people post positive experiences. When I was deciding whether to have the Plantar Release Surgery, I went to every website I could find and tried to research results from people who had the surgery. I only found one positive comment. I read so many horror stories that I almost changed my mind about having the surgery. The pain had become too much to handle and I figured it was worth the risk at that point. My life was based around my PF and the things I couldn’t do because if it. I refused to continue to let it control my life; I realized I couldn’t let my fear of other people’s results keep me from improving my quality of life.

My Dr. say’s I am 80% healed now, he says I can begin to do normal activities, as my foot will allow. Having Plantar Release Surgery was the best decision I made when nothing else would work for me. I am elated that I didn’t rule out the surgery. This was my first (and hopefully only) surgery and that can be scary for anyone. I really wanted to provide some hope to others who are undecided about having the surgery.

 

Take Care Diana!  

Diana said:

Thank you for posting this. You are the first I read about that had good results from the surgery. Congratulations!


Lisa,

 

Good News!

When I decided to have surgery, I thought exactly the way you are thinking now “Couldn’t get any worse”. After you do have the surgery, just take it easy and do everything the Dr. instructs you to do. You will feel an increase in pain during your second and third weeks, just remember to continue to ice and elevate frequently. The pain will subside in your 4th week and you will start to feel normal again. Once the pain is gone, still continue to treat your foot like it’s in pain. Although you may no longer feel pain, your foot still needs time to heal internally. Let us know how your progress is.

 

Take Care!

Best Wishes Lisa! 

 

Lisa said:

Thank you so much for posting your progress and experience with the surgery.  This is so good to hear, as I am scheduled to have the surgery on my left foot in 5 days.  I have done everything under the sun to heal my PF and nothing has even touched the pain.  I have great faith in my podiatrist (who is also my surgeon) and she is 99.9% sure that this will cure the pain.  I realize it will take a very long time to heal, but the way I look at it....things could not be much worse than they are now.  Thank you again for posting.  We rarely hear about the positive results.

Bad Foot,

 

Thank you so much for the kind words! I am feeling great and ready to start my New Year off on the “Right Foot”! I wish you the best of luck with whatever path you choose.

Yes, the PF Release was open surgery. Now at 8 weeks, you can hardly see my scar from the incision.

 

Take Care!
Bad Foot said:
I cannot thank you thankyou enough for posting this!! I'm no longer on the fence with having surgery! I'm not sure if im going to have the release or a  pin put in. Is this open surgery?  The inscion looks great! Again, thankyou so much for posting this!! And congratulations on the success of the surgery!

Sally,

Yes, at 2 and 3 weeks the pain in the arches was the worst of the pain I felt. My ankles started to hurt during my 3rd week and both went away. Rarely now, I do feel pain in my arches and ankles. My Dr. told me at my 8-week visit today, that the pain in the arches is “Surgical Pain” and that everything is trying to strengthen up. He say’s that it will come and go but will completely go away. As for the ankles… he say’s they hurt from walking outward (on side of feet) trying to keep pressure off of the incision site. He said it would also go away! I’m glad your pain is gone, keep up the great work, your arches and ankles are well on the way too! Oh, keep using ice, it will help a lot.

Take Care!

Sally said:
I had Pf release in Feb 2010 on my Left foot and Oct 2010 on my right my Pf pain is gone now I have pain in the arches and ankles, I am curious did you experience this too?  thanks

Kim,

 

What does the pain in your heel feel like? Does it hurt when you take a step after a long period off of your foot? Does it feel like walking on broken glass and burn? Both of my back leg muscles ached badly, that is because you are limping and putting extra strain on your lower leg muscles. The hips and lower back pain may be due to another issue, but then again, I am no doctor. I had many Cortisone injections, the more I had, the shorter the relief time. Is one of your feet worse than the other?

 

Hope to hear back from you!

Kim said:
Hi- I've been living with PF for far too long. My first podiatrist was ultra conservative and I believe, let this go on for too long. I have just had my second cortisone shot and can tell it's beginning to wear off. My new doctor is convinced I need surgery on both feet. I am glad to see this positive post.

I am curious to know if any of you have experienced any of these symptoms:

Typically I will have a couple of good days, usually after lots of rest, meds, stretching and ice. When I become active...grocery shopping, housework or standing place for a period of time....my feet start to ache. Initially it is heal pain, then it will move randomly around my feet. As the day progresses my ankles and lower legs hurt. Then my hips, low back and leg muscles ache. Then I start feeling drained from the pain. After a while I just can't be on my feet.

My new podiatrist wanted me to have my spine checked to rule out herniated disks. The back doc brushed it off, but agreed to an MRI. He also referred me to an foot and ankle specialist in his building for a third opinion.

Have any of you had PF this severe? I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Kim,

I've had this blasted problem for over 3 years and had the following done ; ice, stretching, physicall therapy, shock wave therapy, massage, injections 4-5x, then Topaz procedure with blood platlet injections 2x
NOTHING has worked. I have ankle pain, side of foot pain, pain right wear tendom connects to heel bone in center of the foot, and lower back pain, like it's pinching a nerve. I'm so frustrated with what to do next. I have went to several docotors and spent serveral hundreds of dollars of my own on this with no improvement.

I have been told that the PF release surgery is long and hard to recover from, which I can't take the time off work and recover from that long. Good luck. Bob
Kim said:

Hi- I've been living with PF for far too long. My first podiatrist was ultra conservative and I believe, let this go on for too long. I have just had my second cortisone shot and can tell it's beginning to wear off. My new doctor is convinced I need surgery on both feet. I am glad to see this positive post.

I am curious to know if any of you have experienced any of these symptoms:

Typically I will have a couple of good days, usually after lots of rest, meds, stretching and ice. When I become active...grocery shopping, housework or standing place for a period of time....my feet start to ache. Initially it is heal pain, then it will move randomly around my feet. As the day progresses my ankles and lower legs hurt. Then my hips, low back and leg muscles ache. Then I start feeling drained from the pain. After a while I just can't be on my feet.

My new podiatrist wanted me to have my spine checked to rule out herniated disks. The back doc brushed it off, but agreed to an MRI. He also referred me to an foot and ankle specialist in his building for a third opinion.

Have any of you had PF this severe? I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Thanks for getting back with me :)  Glad you are healing well.

 

The pain in my heel basically feels like someone took a hammer to my heel.  I do have a little limp on occassion when it's really flaring up.  On a scale of one to ten, my pain varies.  I would say I average a six on my left foot and a 3 or 4 on my right.  That is if I have very little activity.  If I went for a long walk, shopped or did a lot of housework, it would flare to an 8 or 9 on my left foot and a 6 or 7 on my right.

 

I'm pretty sure that my leg pain, is just referred pain.  But my doctor is concerned I could have a disk issue that is complicating it.  I do have a slight herniation at L5,6 and S1 which does affect the scatica in both legs.  So we are unsure if it's the disk or the PF.  All I know is that on any given day, I get very exhausted just moving around and doing basic things.  Not exhausted from a cardio sense, but just a very painful, tired feeling in my lower body that drains my energy.

 

I've been off my feet most of the day today and my left heel is killing me.  I've done all of the conservative treatments, still sleeping in the darn boots too :(

 

 

Monique said:

Kim,

 

What does the pain in your heel feel like? Does it hurt when you take a step after a long period off of your foot? Does it feel like walking on broken glass and burn? Both of my back leg muscles ached badly, that is because you are limping and putting extra strain on your lower leg muscles. The hips and lower back pain may be due to another issue, but then again, I am no doctor. I had many Cortisone injections, the more I had, the shorter the relief time. Is one of your feet worse than the other?

 

Hope to hear back from you!

Kim said:
Hi- I've been living with PF for far too long. My first podiatrist was ultra conservative and I believe, let this go on for too long. I have just had my second cortisone shot and can tell it's beginning to wear off. My new doctor is convinced I need surgery on both feet. I am glad to see this positive post.

I am curious to know if any of you have experienced any of these symptoms:

Typically I will have a couple of good days, usually after lots of rest, meds, stretching and ice. When I become active...grocery shopping, housework or standing place for a period of time....my feet start to ache. Initially it is heal pain, then it will move randomly around my feet. As the day progresses my ankles and lower legs hurt. Then my hips, low back and leg muscles ache. Then I start feeling drained from the pain. After a while I just can't be on my feet.

My new podiatrist wanted me to have my spine checked to rule out herniated disks. The back doc brushed it off, but agreed to an MRI. He also referred me to an foot and ankle specialist in his building for a third opinion.

Have any of you had PF this severe? I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Jason.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service