Plantar Fasciitis

Support Group & Health Community

I am debating having the foot injection for my pf...I hear it's painful. I had one shot already which was fine...but another doctor wants me to have another one and let him do it as he is a pain management doc and has an xray machine to allow him to shoot directly into the correct area.....
and can I drive after this???

Views: 7383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the information. I am recently diagnosed but have had pain for over 6 months... just put off seeing a doc as i thought i was being a whiner. now i can barely walk. seeing podiatrist next week. family doctor offered shot, but i said i'd wait and see what the podiatrist says. now i feel like i made a good decision, after reading your words. thanks!

Mary said:
Lori said:
I don't let him tape up my foot after the shot. I walk on it afterward and it usually works much faster. The longer you let the pain go, the worse the shot will hurt. Go as soon as it begins hurting.

Just a few precisions :

Get your foot taped if it's offered. According to studies, the fascia is fragilized in the 2 weeks following the shot. The taping helps bearing the flare that follows the shot breifly and adds protection for your fascia. Ice plenty if the shot causes a flare and take it easy.

According to all the Mds I've seen, it's true though that the shot should work better in the acute stage (the first months) than in the chronic stage (after several months or beyond a year) as it targets inflammation and there is less of that as you get into the chronic stage.

As a general guideline for other readers, especially recent sufferers, it's widely recommended to try conservative treatment (proper stretching and icing, resting, proper shoes and podiatric inserts) for at least the 6-8 first weeks of acute pain before giving in to a first shot as the shot adresses the symptoms but not the cause and is not always necessary when the cause is properly and quickly corrected.
Cortisone works by permanently degenerating tissue. It is definitely fragile after a shot. Whether or not to tape has a lot to do with your personal genetics. How tight are your ligaments? Also, most docs won't give you more than 3 shots in a year, and there is a lifetime limit to the amount of cortisone you can take. People who have had too many cortisone shots in too short a time have had to have the joint replaced, so PLEASE be careful. It's rare, but it can happen.

None of you are whining about the shot. It HURTS. The doc can minimize this by changing the direction of the shot, but I've NEVER heard of it not hurting unless the doc gave a prior shot of novocaine, which most don't do.

The more important questions have to do with how you got this. Have you had bad sprain(s) to that ankle? Especially if they were 3-10 years ago, chances are that in the healing process, the ankle stiffened up and changed it's load distribution mechanism. It's a factor most MDs don't even ask about, but my in-clinic experience shows that 80%+ of PF patients have had at least 1 grade 2 or 3 sprain to the ankle. Add in bad shoes and long days, and poof! You get PF. You can get rid of it. No shots, no surgery. Just massage and decent shoes. Got to my website, (www.KayWarren.org) read the Plantar Fasciitis page, and if you're interested ask me for the guide, "Healing Plantar Fasciitis Without Surgery". It's FREE. I hate spam as much as everyone of you, so I promise I'll never sell your name or e-mail, and I won't spam you or put you on joke lists, ever. I'm a medical massage therapist, and have been for 26 years. I just don't see the point in suffering. You really have nothing to lose.

I have suffered with plantar fasciitis for 11 months in both feet and at about 5 months in I started stretching more. I have been using a splint at night and foot rocker to stretch. I also have a small plantar fibroma in the arch of my left foot. I went to a podiatrist and he gave me a shot in the fibroma and it shrank. However my right foot was hurting in the arch as well and not in the heel. He gave me a shot in the heel now I can barely walk. My heel feels bruised and its been 10 days. I have a follow up appointment in 5 days. 

Why does my heel hurt now and didn't before?!

I forgot about this forum until I just received an update and went back to read what I wrote back in Aug 2010.  I should update that it got really bad and I had tried every option until my trainer told me to see her chiropractor, which I hesitated (don't like chiropractors) he deals with sports medicine and is not your traditional chiro.  He stripped the scar tissue with his hands digging deep with his thumb (HURT LIKE HELL) did this for awhile once a week then dropped down to once every two weeks than once a month to only when needed but I'm happy to say I have been pain free for at least 2 yrs now!!  During this time I did use a golf ball or lecrosse ball to massage the area and applied as much pressure I could take. I do wear slippers (burks) in the house, always!! I don't wear flip flops but do wear the occasional high heels for special functions and run (only on trails, not pavement not long distance, never did that has nothing to do with my feet) and can do anything I did prior to Plantar Fasciitis.  I swear by him for any of my other sports injuries.  Good luck to everyone.

I didn't a feel it at all , both feet

I had one shot a long time ago in my neck which helped ease the pain for a couple weeks, but really only masks the problem. It doesn't heal anything. You need to get to the root of the problem. If getting shots, make sure to still focus on treatments. When the pain is masked, it makes you believe you can do a lot more, without pain, but really you are just damaging the issue more and will end up feeling the results of that once the shot fades. Here is some interesting information about cortisone (corticosteroids in general). http://cortisoneinfo.com/index.php#cortisol 

I had an injection in my foot that was supposed to deaden the nerve with supercold stuff.   I got a horrible staff infection which resulted in surgery on my foot and 8 weeks of daily infusions of strong antibiotics via a tube under my arm directly into a large vein.   This was hell and four years on my scar still hurts and the area around the infection swells up and does not look or feel normal.   I have had steroid injections but I think that is OK.   No help for me but no harm.   When doctors start to cut or mess around with your feet you risk infection because your feet  are really vulnerable to Staff.   The worst place to get staff is in your podiatrist's office.  I did not get MRSA, but if I had I would be minus one foot. 

Are injections that effective?

Some people do find it relieves the pain quite a bit but the risk in my opinion isn't worth it. If it does relieve the pain, that is all it's doing. Doesn't actually help heal the underlying issue. It can cause infection and can cause the tendon to rupture. You have to be careful with these. I don't personally recommend it.

Mary J. Morrow said:

Are injections that effective?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Jason.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service