Plantar Fasciitis

Support Group & Health Community

His blog is well worth reading.  I've been trying to find an answer to plantar fasciitis for 2 years, and what he says in his article about plantar fasciitis  makes more sense than anything else I've heard.  I'm not saying this to promote him; in fact, I don't even know who he is. I'm trying to find him; so if his practice is near where I live, maybe he'd agree to see me; if not, maybe he could recommend someone for me. I've had plantar fasciitis for over 2 years. 2 cortisone shots, physical therapy, blood flow stimulation therapy; nothing has worked.  Degenerative tissue showed on an ultrasound. On those rare occasions when it doesn't hurt, it feels squishy.  I'm not so sure I like the odds of successful shock wave, and I KNOW I don't like the odds of surgery.  This pain gets harder to live with every day. So, does anyone know where "Angry Orthopod" practices?

Views: 806

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess I'm replying to my own post, but just want to add - a friend diagnosed with p.f. finally had an MRI - which found a tear and 2 cysts.  So - sometimes things aren't what they seem.  (MRI isn't an option for me, because of the metal pin, but as long as I get better, it doesn't matter.)

Hello Eleanor,  Is it possible to find out exactly what the exercises/stretches are for the calf muscles i.e. how many a day and for how long on each session.  I hear you can overdo it.  I've had this problem of PF for three months and sometimes it gives me a sudden shooting pain up through the heel as well as being unable to walk on it for a lot of the day.  I have had it before but never like this as I've been able to heal it with round ice bottles and some stretching but this one doesn't feel like it's going anywhere.  I wonder if it's arthritis of some kind.  Thanks for any info you can give.  I'll continue to look for the blog of Angry Othopod.
Adriane Young said:

I did find Angry Orthopod,  a little over 6 months ago.  He has now retired from direct patient care, but before that, we communicated. (I have not actually met him.) His reply to me was that I needed to do the calf stretches - as described in his blog (this is different from the stretch the PT and my doctor had shown me)  for 6 months.  If - no, when - it worked, his only request was that I let others know via social media.  SInce this forum is about the only social media I've ever used - and is also, obvioiusly, pertinent - I did the 6 months, and the pain was almost (but not quite) gone.  Then, unfortunately, I had a fall, and twisted my ankle. Why, exactly, that would take me back to start with this thing, I don't know, but it did. So, after waiting for the swelling to go down, I started again with the calf strecthes, and am, once again, getting better.  So I'm hoping this time, it will be all the way better in six months.  We will see.  At least it has never again gotten as excruciating as it was at one point.  There is also a surgery that can be done in the unlikely event the stretches don't work.  It's not the cutting of the fasciae, but apparently very few doctors in the U.S. do it.  Also the recovery time is very long.  My situation is more complicated than some, because I already had a pin in the ankle when this began, plus my legs are (mysteriously) swollen.  But, I repeat - everything else I tried helped a little bit for a little while.  Angry Orthopod's advice helped a lot, for a long time.  So there's my story. If you are suffering with plantar fasciitis, go back and read Angry Orthopod's discussion on his blog, and give his advice a try.  Finally, a note to Dr. A. - as you see, I've kept my promise.(I'm Eleanor)  And I am very grateful for your help.

Adriane Young said:

I guess I'm replying to my own post, but just want to add - a friend diagnosed with p.f. finally had an MRI - which found a tear and 2 cysts.  So - sometimes things aren't what they seem.  (MRI isn't an option for me, because of the metal pin, but as long as I get better, it doesn't matter.)

OUCH no MRI... that stinks since you need the imaging to see what's going on. Can they do any other scans?  I have discovered cold low light laser therapy that my old chiropractor does and it's helping.  I was scheduled for EPAT - shockwave therapy with my podiatrist but there are no guarantees that it works and VERY  expensive so I opted for the laser therapies after hearing very positive things about it.  

Keep stretching, icing and healing and hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.  I will continue to let you guys know about my new journey with the laser therapy.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I already feel better after only three sessions.

To Andriane,

I am reposting because it looks like my response was added to your's and it looks like you wrote it.  Could be my old clunky computer and old server.

OUCH to you twisting and falling.  No MRI... that stinks since you need the imaging to see what's going on. Can they do any other scans?  I have discovered cold low light laser therapy that my old chiropractor does and it's helping.  I was scheduled for EPAT - shockwave therapy with my podiatrist but there are no guarantees that it works and it is VERY  expensive so I opted for the laser therapies after hearing very positive things about it.  

Keep stretching, icing and healing and hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.  I will continue to let you guys know about my new journey with the laser therapy.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I already feel better after only three sessions.

Thanks for the repost.  Here's the web address where you'll find instructions of the calf stretches: It's just 9 minutes a day, in sets of 3.

http://angryorthopod.com/2016/03/calf-stretching/  And here's where you'll find the article (which is on a web page that is really for other doctors) that got me started looking for the doctor known as Angry Orthopod: 

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2011/03/treatment-plantar-fasciitis-exp...

Basically, according to Dr. AO (I believe him), plantar fasciitis is actually caused by contracture in the calf.  Also, the research behind the advice for all those painful stretches that work directly with the plantar fasciiae itself - seriously flawed, and has been retracted!  But the medical community doesn't seem to have noticed...

Get rid of the contracture in the calf, the plantar fasciiae won't be constantly yanked on by the leg,and can heal.

That's the advice I got, and I've taken it to heart.

And to answer the comment re no MRI for me  - Thanks for the sympathy!  But  I've had  ultrasounds done, so they did look.  And an X-Ray to make sure the pin hasn't shifted.  No real reason to think it's anything other than p.f., so unless I'm told furthe diagnostic work is necessary, I'm leaving it at that.  Good luck to everyone - the nightmare can end.  Or at the very least, become something uncomfortable instead of miserable.

Oh, believe me... I have been doing the calf stretches all this time. :)  I also try and do as much downward facing dog and other yoga stretches too for the calf.  Ugh... it's never ending.  Sometimes I take my rolling pin and have my boyfriend work out the knots as well. My biggest enemy is the weight that I have piled on since I'm not as active as I used to be.  I used to walk 3 or 5 or 7 miles per day, the distance depended on time and weather.  And then yoga 3 or 4 times per week.  I haven't been able to do any of that in two years.  I can't seem to find a shoe/sneaker that works for me, so I'm trying to use my stationary bike but it's not the same. I like being outdoors and biking outdoors for me isn't happening where I live.  

Hi Joan,

The thing is, to heal PF, the calf stretches have to be done a certain way.  This is not the lean against the wall thing or a Hatha Yoga thing.  Of course, maybe you already know about it...

I ended up with Sketchers, because they have some heel height (although you can't tell that by looking at the outside or the shoe), along with 2 pairs of socks.

There really is hope to be had...

I've done it all, all the stretching and physical therapy.... the thing with me is I no longer have PF (although I'm sure there is inflammation in my arch). My issue is that I have permanent damage from having the PF surgery with bone spur removal. I try as much as possible to keep my calf as loose as possible because when that gets tight and aggravated, my foot feels worse.  I used to wear the New Balance (rocker bottom) like a version Sketchers but they no longer make that style of sneaker anymore. I tried the MBTs and ended up with stress fractures so I am going to try Asics Nimbus sneakers now since I don't like any of the New Balance that I have tried on.  I also have a couple pairs of Merrells that are helping.  I'm afraid that the rocker bottoms are not for me anymore.  The entire structure of my right foot is shot. My MRI post surgery shows a lot of edema also which is causing a lot of pain as well.  I'm going to continue with the laser therapy since it seems to be helping.  

Adriane Young said:

Hi Joan,

The thing is, to heal PF, the calf stretches have to be done a certain way.  This is not the lean against the wall thing or a Hatha Yoga thing.  Of course, maybe you already know about it...

I ended up with Sketchers, because they have some heel height (although you can't tell that by looking at the outside or the shoe), along with 2 pairs of socks.

There really is hope to be had...

I'm sorry.  It sounds awful.  But I'm glad something is helping.  

Hi all. I've been researching because of worse pain after MN surgery on both feet, but I ended up here because of posts in the Angry Orthopod's site. I've tried everything, but nothing's helping, so I'm going to try the calf stretches. Here is the link he sends people to. https://onestretch.com/ Years ago I had physical therapy for an ankle problem and had to do calf stretches. They didn't have this piece of equipment, but they had a gizmo they had made from some pieces of lumber. That's what I'm going to try...... I'm hoping and praying calf stretches will help. It sounds like a long shot to me, but I'm going to try it.

Hi Tina,

I have had PF since September 16 and it does rule my life in the way that I have to plan things so I don't have to walk too far or for too long.  I'm in Australia in the countryside so walking is a way of life here for most.  I've tried so many physical therapies and spent so much money on this foot!  I even looked into Tension Myositis Syndrome (pyschosomatic pain from bottled up emotions) which I know has helped many people.  You can find lots about it on google and you tube by Dr Sarno and Steve O.  Anyway, the only thing I've found that helps IS the stretching but you have to do it religiously as the Angry Orthopod says.  When I've actually done it properly I have days in a row when it doesn't hurt and then for some reason I get lazy or busy and forget and it immediately comes back.  My pain isn't just in the mornings - it gets worse as the day goes on and I'm on my feet.  I'm starting now to do the stretching first thing in the morning and I do it 3 times for 3 minutes.  I believe completely that most PF is in the tight calf muscles and they just need lots of stretching.  Defintely look at One Stretch as mentioned in the previous post for the instructions.  As I said mine hasn't gone but the stretching I know will help and eventually it'll be gone - you've just got to be persistent, just like PF is.  Good luck. 

Hi Tina,

Well, now I'm a bit puzzled.  I don't remember A.O. ever mentioning that you had to buy a thing.  An aerobic step is useful, but really, you can use any step - just a step on the stairs is fine.  Here's the web address to the part of his blog that shows you how to do the calf stretches:http://angryorthopod.com/2016/03/calf-stretching/  Just a reminder: This is not the method they use in PT - (or at least, mine didn't).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Jason.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service