Plantar Fasciitis

Support Group & Health Community

His blog is well worth reading.  I've been trying to find an answer to plantar fasciitis for 2 years, and what he says in his article about plantar fasciitis  makes more sense than anything else I've heard.  I'm not saying this to promote him; in fact, I don't even know who he is. I'm trying to find him; so if his practice is near where I live, maybe he'd agree to see me; if not, maybe he could recommend someone for me. I've had plantar fasciitis for over 2 years. 2 cortisone shots, physical therapy, blood flow stimulation therapy; nothing has worked.  Degenerative tissue showed on an ultrasound. On those rare occasions when it doesn't hurt, it feels squishy.  I'm not so sure I like the odds of successful shock wave, and I KNOW I don't like the odds of surgery.  This pain gets harder to live with every day. So, does anyone know where "Angry Orthopod" practices?

Views: 731

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How do we get hold of the Angry Orthopod.   I am pretty angry myself about suffering foot pain for many years to the point of being debilitated.   About the only treatment I have not had is PF Release surgery.  Now I fear Staff infection after getting staff from podiatrist who used dirty equipment on my left foot.  What can a person expect if they have the partial PF release surgery?  I don't want to end up in a wheelchair.  I came pretty close already.

The google search below is where I found his article.  You can find other articles at bloggy@angryorthopod.com. On some of his articles  there is an opportunity to comment. I didn't  get past the anti-robotic filter, buy maybe others can.  Somewhere in his blog he says how you can find him on facebook or twitter; I don't use either. http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2011/03/treatment-plantar-fasciitis-exp....  As for the surgery, everyone I've talked to, and everyone the people that I've talked to have talked to, says don't have surgery, whatever you do,  It is very high risk, and potentially permanently damaging.  (Sorry about the bold letters, I don't know how they snuck in there or how to get them out.)  But of course, all I know is what I've heard; I don't know what's right for you. I hope you succeed in finding your way to being comfortable again. (I hope the same think for myself.)

I have heard the same thing about the surgery.  The Pod. cuts your PF because it is too tight.  The PF is what supports your arch.  It may be too tight, but what is the effect of cutting it.  Does it permanently lower your arch?   I lived through one foot surgery and I could not walk for weeks without a walker like a 90 year old.  I could not even get into the bathtub because I could not get out without my wife pulling on my arms and me crawling out on my belly.  The wound on my foot after surgery remained open for 6 weeks and had to be packed and unpacked each day.   Just imagine a deep wound in your foot having to be stuffed and unstuffed with gauze every day for weeks and weeks.  I used to cry when the nurse first stuffed the gauze into the wound even with morphine. 

john king said:

I have heard the same thing about the surgery.  The Pod. cuts your PF because it is too tight.  The PF is what supports your arch.  It may be too tight, but what is the effect of cutting it.  Does it permanently lower your arch?   I lived through one foot surgery and I could not walk for weeks without a walker like a 90 year old.  I could not even get into the bathtub because I could not get out without my wife pulling on my arms and me crawling out on my belly.  The wound on my foot after surgery remained open for 6 weeks and had to be packed and unpacked each day.   Just imagine a deep wound in your foot having to be stuffed and unstuffed with gauze every day for weeks and weeks.  I used to cry when the nurse first stuffed the gauze into the wound even with morphine. 

I'm so sorry; it sounds miserable. Angry Ortho thinks, if I understood correctly, that the real cause of plantar fasciitis is contracture in the calf, overstressing the plantar ligaments. I thinks he's right, but once there's significant damage, I don't know where that leaves us.   I've had prior surgery on that foot, too, but it was just to put a pin in a fractured ankle.  What country are you in?  (Actually, I don't know what country he's in, either.)

normally when trying to heal your fascia it takes time, and a little self-discipline. Trying to heal you fascia quickly hardly never works. i thought the same way and i ended up dealing with plantar fasciitis and heel spurs for three years. it was a long road for me, but in the end it just took me lots of time and dedication to follow specific regimens. i have a blog as well that i would love for you to have a look at and possibly share with others. http;//www.howtocureplantarfasciitis.org

Thanks for your reply, Kimberly.  I've had this thing for over 2 yrs., and followed through on all I was asked to do, including the PT stretches and exercises.  I tried the Plantar Fasciitis Solution DVD, too, which wasn't very different from the PT.   But, since reading the angry ortho article, I've realized my calf is very, very, tight.  So am working on that now.  Also found, by chance, an article on Advanced Regenerative Healing Options for Chronic Plantar Fasciitis, in Podiatry Today, Vol 26, Issue 11, Nov. 2013.  So there is hope - there are other aggressive options besides the dangerous fasciia release and the iffy-shock wave.  I'm not sure how I got to the article; I didn't have to pay for it.  Are you talking about the website promoting Jerry Roberts book?  Has anyone else tried his methods?  My podiatrist doesn't think anything external will solve the problem, because of the degenerative tissue. Since I amped up the calf stretches; yesterday I had several pain free hours. First time that's happened! So, we'll see. My next step, unless hope-or continued improvement occurs (I believe in miracles), is to head to an orthopedist. My insurance says they'll cover my doing that, esp. since it's prior-surgery related.  I'm too stubborn to let this thing win!

I did the calf stretches for the last few days.  I notice at first just how tight my calf muscles are!  My feet hurt worse right after stretching, but better the next day.  I think I should do stretches at night so they can calm down for a while.  I used to read a PF discussion group and about half the patients that got PF release surgery were better and half were worse and I mean much worse.  It took some years to heal.  I wonder if there are scientific studies of results of PF surgery?  There are for back surgeries and 1/3 get better; 1/3 remained the same and 1/3 got worse.  Now I am taking Turmeric  for chronic inflammation in my feet and lower back.   Sometimes I think the doctors don't know much more about these chronic conditions that we do just from thinking outside the box.  What do you all think are the best shoes for an adult man who weights over 200 lbs.  I already have orthotics and they are new and help a little but in no way do they solve the problem.

I used to be able to walk for miles and now I am down to about two blocks.  I see people working behind cash registers on their feet and I envy them.  I could not do that for 20 minutes.

By the way,   I am from Florida in the USA.   Many days each year for a person to walk or run.  It eats m heart out to see really overweight people easily walking and I have not been able to do that for years.  Now I am fat myself from not being able to exercise.  I have back and cervical problems so most gyms are out for me.  Swimming is the only option.

I think if I lost some weight I have gained since the foot pain got really bad it would help.  I can't exercise it away so that just leaves diet.  Of course, I have a wife who can eat almost anything and not gain a pound.  However, she has ankle/foot problems from a car accident so her right foot hurts her every day. 

What does everyone think  about non-traditional cures like Turmeric for inflammation and other things for Arthritis ?

I had a back injury as a youth and it took about a year to recover but I did fully recover.   Now 50 years later I have the same sort of pain I had then in my lower back.   I got injured in Vietnam as well as being exposed to Agent Orange which causes neuropathy.  There only solution is Lyrica or Neurotin which has never worked for me.   I bet there are millions of people who suffer from chronic conditions like PF that may have a lot to do with lifestyle and even heredity.   Flat feet and Pes Cavus are congenital conditions and both can cause PF as can AO exposure.

Turmeric can definitely aid in curing your plantar Fasciitis however, I think it's a little far-fetched to say that turmeric alone will heal your fascia. There has been many test studies that has the sme results as you have stated.half will do well and another halth would suffer surverly. the Plantar fasciitis release surgery offers some benefits but i personally would try other treatments first.  To john King it sounds like you may be stretching a little too much, try cutting down the time you stretch, you dont want to injury yourself more. you also dont want to try to rush it, healing you fascia takes time and LOTS of patients. Also try using a heat pad for five min. then a ice pad for five min. keep alternating until the pain resides a little. I would try to avoid getting that surgery at all cost have you seen the surgery performed? eeeww!

Hi!  I can understand why you're so tired of dealing with this pain and are so angry yourselves.

I know many have recommended cushions and resting and stretching...but honestly, there's a better way that's clinically proven to help you eliminate your pain.

I'd really encourage you to ask your doctor/podiatrist about EPAT (Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Technology)--sometimes referred to as ESWT or shockwave therapy.  It works. It's effective. It's non-invasive and no anesthesia is required.

It is worth every penny and will get you better faster.  If your doctor doesn't offer if or hasn't heard of it, find someone who offers this innovative approach to dealing with heel pain.

Best of luck!

Take it from someone who had the surgery in August 2015.  DON'T have it.  I have had nothing but constant pain and complications since.  It's not worth it.  My quality of life sucks now. I cannot walk without being in excruciating pain. I have tried MBT shoes, I have tried inserts, I have had custom made orthotics.  NOTHING is helping. The surgery caused me to have a stress fracture that will not heal.  I give up.  Do NOT have the surgery.  Try acupuncture. I wish I had. That's my last hope and I intend on trying to find one in my area that treats PF.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Jason.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service